Tuesday, June 19, 2012

For Ryan.

 

I received some devastating, utterly horrible news this weekend. 

Before I explain , I must give a back story. I used to work at a daycare center in the late 90’s where I met a lot of fantastic children and their families.  At some point, we all moved on from this daycare center, but I was fortunate to be able to still hold a relationship with the families.  A couple of them I was blessed to be able to nanny/babysit for.

Thus begins my story of Ryan S.  In 1999 I would frequently watch Ryan and his brother while their Mom was taking on studies for school.  During this time, we all developed a friendship. Seriously the sweetest family ever.  I would visit with them, and go to dinner with them, and I was always so excited to get to watch the boys.  I remember once Ryan and I stayed up late to watch Saturday Night Live.  (Umm. He was in 3rd grade at the time. What the heck was I thinking?)  Britney Spears was hosting for the first time.  I don’t think he made it all the way to the end of the show. His brother was younger, so he was more into building with Legos….and going to sleep at proper times that young boys should.   We watched movies together, and they always got a snack. Ryan loved popcorn, and his brother loved Oreos.  One movie I showed them was Ever After. Ryan LOVED it!  He even wanted to run through scenes after we watched it. It kind of became our “thing”. He was the sweetest little boy.  Both boys were well behaved, and polite as can be.  They moved back to Texas the following year….and that was very hard!  I grew to love that family!  Every once in a while they would come through Colorado, and I’d get to see them, which was fantastic!! 

I am so thankful for Facebook!  This social media made it possible for me to see what my Texas friends were up to, and how life was going for them.  Ryan and I would message back and forth a couple of times through the years.  It was nice to still be in touch, even though he was a busy College goer. 

Sadly I got news this weekend that he passed away.  He was 21.

Even though I wasn’t a direct part of his life anymore, I still ache.  For his family. For his friends.

I’ve been re-living the time I got to spend with him. I think about his brown eyes.  His tender heart.  His cutie cheeks.

I’ll miss you, sweet boy.

This one’s for you.

Ryan LOVED this song, too!!

 

***If you’ve read this, please pray for this family. Ryan also has a younger sister, and they all need strength to make it through this. Thank you.***

No comments:

Post a Comment